As a Senior Linux Systems Engineer you’ll be joining our DevOps team which means you’ll get to work on lots of different projects and have the opportunity to make technical design decisions on a regular basis. You’ll be responsible for supporting several different technology stacks in our technical environment including: Apache/Tomcat/MySQL; Apache/PHP/Zend/MySQL, and Wordpress.
While these are the core stacks for our main websites and tools, we’re also running Ruby, Python/Django, Elasticsearch, Node.js and several others. We are strong supporters of Open Source software and we’re not afraid to support a new technology if it’s the right one to get the job done.
We are also moving aggressively into the Amazon public cloud. We have several active deployments within AWS including an innovative image upload service utilizing S3 and a new China web property, hosted out of the AWS Japan region.
We were early adopters of configuration management tools and currently use Chef to manage our growing fleet of on-premise (VMWare) and AWS cloud based servers.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Build, configure, optimize, and tune BabyCenter’s Linux server farms (approximately 800 systems and counting)
- Manage and maintain Chef based server orchestration framework
- Scale and tune existing infrastructure to increase capacity and to support new services
- Manage strategic migrations of on-premise infrastructure to the AWS cloud
- Troubleshoot production issues and work with development teams through resolution
- Participate as part of a 24x7 on call pager rotation.
- A minimum of a high school diploma is required.
- A minimum of 5 years experience working as a Linux Systems Administrator or a Linux Systems Engineer is required.
- Experience working with Agile methodologies and teams is required.
- Proven ability to administer/manage/maintain/upgrade, at a high level of competency, a variety of technical platforms is required.
- CentOS or Red Hat Enterprise Linux is required.
- Software configuration management (specifically: Chef or Puppet) is required.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (specifically: VPC, EC2, ELB, S3) is required.
- VMWare ESXi is required. Apache Web Server: Installation, configuration, tuning is required.
- Tomcat Application server: Installation, configuration, tuning is required. Nagios/Cacti/Graphite/SmokePing/Ganglia or similar monitoring and trending systems is required.
- Load balancing solutions experience (Netscaler, BigIP, or HAProxy) is required.
- Version control systems (Subversion or Git) is required.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN): Configuration and tuning is required.